Thursday, July 30, 2026

growing up being called white washed.

if your not black, this post wont resinate with you personally, but I think its something EVERYONE should read and understand

I grew up in an all black neighborhood, but went to school with rich white kids. All my friends (besides one) growing up, were white. I didnt mind. I love who I love, regardless of their color.

As a kid I didnt really notice the color of my friends, until high school. My freshman year, was the first year I got called with washed. publicly on instagram notes by this one black kid in my class. we hadn't even really spoken so I was confused on why he was commenting on my behavior

"(my name) is the whitest black girl ever." His note said. I just stared at it for a while. Not really knowing what I should say. The next day I decided to confront him in school. "say it to my face." I demanded him. He said no and was clearly very nervous.

Secondly, lots of the black kids would ask me stupid questions like, "say the n word" or "can I have the pass (coming from white kids" or "do yk who Malcom X and Rosa Parks are? what did they do then?" or "you dont like coolaid? your not really black then."

for my entire high school years, ive tried to prove to others that I am in fact black enough. the only thing that makes me black is my skin, and that should be enough. recently one of my friends who is also black, sent me a TikTok (on my personal account) talking about "that one whitewashed black girl."

Im about to be a senior now, and honestly the whole 'white washed" accusations are getting old. especially because I LOVE being black and I wouldnt trade it for anything else in the world

So I said "what makes me white washed exactly?" I was thinking It was going to be the usual "well you dont dress like your black." or "the way you talk, it's so mature and soft spoken" or even "your a goodie two shoes." but instead, he said "because like all your friends are white." 

While hes not wrong, nobody understands the reasoning behind why I dont have a whole bunch of black friends

they don't like the fact that I dont fit into what they think a stereotypical black girl should look like. such as the things I named above like the way I dress, speak and act. now I never thought of the way I "act" to be "white". I just am who I am.

I wont name how many black friends I do have, BUT it's not 0. I actually have quite a few. but the real fact is I dont have that many friends in general so there's not much I can do about that

so I asked him what about me having white friends makes me white washed? wasnt he my friend? just because I dont post with my black friends or hang with them as regularly as my white friends, doesn't mean im white washed. and honestly, he had no response for that.

the problem with the black community, is we are setting ourselves back. we dont need to, as black people, fall into some type of category to prove our blackness. there is a such thing as being uncultured, and thats not who I am.

anyways sorry I just needed to rant for a bit xoxo

♡♡♡♡

4 comments:

  1. I resonate with it so much, people often tell me I don't act like I'm black or that I do things that are for "white girls", your personality and hobbies shouldn't define your ethnecity. Love your blog btw its so cute <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have said this any better myself. your so right! and tysm lovely <3

      Delete